Cloud Computing - Opportunities and Challenges
Session chairPer Öster
DateWednesday, 15 May 2013
Time13:30 - 15:00
DescriptionIncreasingly, consumer-facing companies delivering products are adopting cloud computing. Commercial service providers are expanding their available cloud offerings to include the entire stack of IT hardware and software infrastructure. The private sector has taken advantage of these technologies to improve resource utilization, increase service responsiveness and gain in efficiency, agility and innovation. Similarly, for research communities, cloud computing holds significant potential to deliver public value by increasing operational efficiency and responding faster to emergent needs. The session will introduce some cloud computing offerings being developed by academic and commercial providers and discuss the opportunities that the cloud holds for research applications. Speakers include Anders Steinhardt (SURFnet), Vangelis Koukis (GRNet) and Janne Järvinen (TiViT/CIC).
- Towards the clouds, together. Collaboration on cloud services in research and education - Andres Steijaert
- Nordic Opportunities for Cloud Software Collaboration - Ivan Porres
- ~okeanos and Synnefo: The public cloud service and the open source software that powers it - Vangelis Koukis
- Panel discussion
- Closing Plenary
- Cloud Computing - Opportunities and Challenges
- Data Services and Technologies
- Digital Humanities - A New Era?
- Opening Session
- WLCG - quo vadis?
- Workshop: Infrastructure as a Service for the Life Sciences
- Workshop: Infrastructure as a Service for the Life Sciences, Cont'd.
- Workshop: Center Operations best practices
- Workshop: Center Operations best practices,Cont'd.
- Workshop: Data Services
- Workshop: Data Services, Cont'd.
- Workshop: Science Gateways
- Workshop: Science Gateways, Cont'd
- Workshop: Security I
- Workshop: Security II
- Workshop: Security III
- Workshop: Security IV